Moto Guzzi Gambalunghino Albatros – 1951
“A genuine and historic Grand Prix Winning motorcycle from the golden age of motorcycle racing.
This was Arthur Wheelers Moto Guzzi 250cc machine during the 1950’s through to 1958.
It was then sold to Trevor Barnes, who raced it until 1964. It then passed onto Arthur Lawn who rode it in the 1964 & 65 IOM TT’s.
It started life as a pre-war “Albatros” model, originally ridden by Leon Martin. Fergus Anderson bought the machine from Moto Guzzi on behalf of Wheeler in 1951. It was continually developed by Wheeler to the latest specification, such as his famous “dustbin” and “dolphin” works pattern streamliner fairings.
Because of Wheelers relationship with with Guzzi, he was supplied with many special Factory parts from works riders Fergus Andersson and Enrico Lorenzetti.
It was on this machine (although it was continually modified) that Wheeler won the 1954 250cc Italian GP, North West 200 x 3 times, Leinster 200’s X 3 times, the Hutchinson 100 at Silverstone and numerous IOM TT Silver Reps, International and National level races as well as many Best Privateer results in the GP’s, culminating with a 4th place in the 1954 250cc Grand Prix World Championship.
The rear alloy section of the frame with the swinging arm and sub frame is the original 1958 Renolds unit constructed by Ken Sprayson. This frame section was bought from Wheeler and fitted by Arthur Lawn in 1964, and was originally used by Wheeler to win the 1958 Blandford National’s, with this engine fitted. So, the bike really has led a “double-life” with Arthur Wheeler….”